Nintendo and Koei Tecmo’s collaboration on the Warriors and Zelda series’ left some in awe and some scratching their heads. While an awesome concept, many are skeptical on whether or not Hyrule Warriors will be a fresh take on the musou genre or just a simple reskin. With a little over a month until release, Koei Tecmo decided to host a Nintendo Direct to divvy out more information.
Here are the highlights of the Hyrule Warriors Direct:
- You will fight alongside Hylian soldiers as well as other Hyrule Warriors characters like Zelda, Impa, Ruto, etc.
- Most of the moves will be based on the The Legend of Zelda series.
- Take over “keeps” to increase the number of soldiers in your army.
- When certain events happen, such as boss arrivals, game objectives will change.
- After completing stages, you’ll win upgrades and weapons.
- Some monsters are easier to defeat using certain items.
- You can make cuccos your allies as well as antagonize them like in other Zelda games.
- Link’s signature weapon is the Hylian Sword; Zelda’s signature weapons are the rapier and light arrows; Impa – Giant Sword; Sheik – harp and martial arts; Darunia – Hammer and brute force, Ruto – Zora’s Scale; Midna – Shackle; Agitha – Parasol; Zant – Scimitars (on his hands); Fi – Goddess Blade; Ghirahim – Demon Blade; Lana – Book of Sorcery
- New weapons: Fire Rod (Link), Windwaker (Zelda), and Spear (Lana)
- Each character has a special attack that allows you to defeat many enemies at once; involves focus attacks
- Bombchus are now very large and will be used for battle in Hyrule Warriors.
- Stages: Skyloft, Lake Hylia, Twilight Field, and more inspired by the Zelda universe – especially Skyward Sword, Ocarina of Time, and Twilight Princess.
- Chain Chomp (also from the Mario series) will appear as a weapon.
- Characters in Hyrule Warriors can level up, increase weapon abilities, special attack abilities, etc.
- The Majora’s Mask moon is used as a special attack.
- Adventure Mode: combines the items of Zelda with the gameplay of Hyrule Warriors. Unlock missions by completing the mission that precedes it. Explore and battle when you achieve your mission using items won. This mode also unlocks other characters unannounced.
- Gold Skulltulas also appear in Hyrule Warriors. Find them by following the sound.
- 2-player Co-op Mode: One player gets their own screen thanks to the gamepad. Screen resolution is reduced when playing co-op. The game also supports off-TV play for single player.
- Will be released in North America on September 26th.
- Surprise! Ganondorf appears!!!!!! He will also be playable.
- Club Nintendo members also get free alternate costumes for Ganondorf, Link, and Zelda
- Hyrule Warriors will have DLC. They will announce more at a later date.
Watch the presentation below!