After months of preparation and hype, this past weekend, Rooster Teeth held its fourth annual Rooster Teeth Expo celebrating all things internet and gaming. It was a jam-packed weekend during which an amazing community got to gather with friends and meet some of their heroes.
Many of the people who didn’t get to go kept themselves posted with the festivities through livestreams and updates from friends who were on the floor. Even people who were there probably weren’t able to take in everything that RTX had to offer, so allow me to summarize some of the greater notes of the weekend.
As I was one of the poor schmucks watching the convention via livestream, there are some things that I can’t report on, such as previews and episodes that were shown only to those who were in attendance. Besides that, I got you.
The RWBY panel was one of the very first of the weekend and despite the colorful and happy vibe the show tends to leave with its fans, it started off on a bittersweet note.
This was the first RTX since RWBY’s creator, Monty Oum, passed away at the much too young age of thirty-three on February 1. The panel was made up of the show’s main characters, Lindsay Jones (Ruby Rose), Barbara Dunkelman (Yang Xiao Long), Arryn Zech (Blake Belladonna), and Kara Eberle (Weiss Schnee) as Team RWBY, and Gray Haddock as Torchwick, the main villain. The show’s two main writers, Miles Luna and Kerry Shawcross, were also in attendance, but there was an absence that was palpable even for me, who was watching the panel streamed.
Gray began by addressing the empty chair in the room and asked for a moment of silence for Monty, who died of complications from a simple medical procedure earlier this year. When the moment ended, the crowd watching the panel stood and applauded uproariously, allowing the cast and creators a moment to compose themselves as they remembered their friend and colleague.
Monty was an unstoppable creative force in Rooster Teeth, revolutionizing the way Red vs. Blue was animated from 2010 on and going on to create the viral hit, RWBY, in 2013. He inspired many with his drive and tenacity and passion for everything he did, so to honor that, Rooster Teeth set up a wonderful memorial to Monty, which played some of Monty’s best animation work on loop and allowed fans to say a final good-bye and thank you to a friend taken from the community far too soon.
The cast didn’t allow fan to remain sad for long. “Monty would’ve yelled at us for wasting time being sad and not going on with the panel,” Haddock said with a laugh.
So, now that we’ve paid our respects, let’s get onto RWBY news.
- RWBY Volume 3 will be coming out late fall this year. No official date at this time.
- Designs released for two new main characters: Winter Schnee, Weiss’s older sister, who will be played by Elizabeth Maxwell (has had roles in shows like One Piece and Attack on Titan,) and Yang and Ruby’s Uncle Qrow, who will be played by famed voice actor Vic Mignogna.
- Lie Ren figurine out now, was not expected to be available until much later this year but was streamlined in honor of Monty
- The inevitable question of who was going to take over Monty’s character, Lie Ren, was answered. Monty’s brother, Neath Oum, will take over for his brother. Haddock asked fans to please be considerate as Neath adjusts to this new role as it’s his first time voice acting and he’s working extremely hard to do right by the character his brother brought to life.
- Miles and Kerry hinted at new characters and new teams that will be debuted during the new season. The designs for one team ABRN (pronounced ABRN) was shown onscreen at the panel and Luna said, although they couldn’t reveal anything about them, said “Y’all are gonna love Team FNKY [Funky].”
- The design for the tournament, which will happen in the upcoming season, was shown.
- Fans asked many questions about the diversity of new characters, such as if there were going to be any LGBT+ characters, characters with different body types, and even a mute character. No official answers at this time, but Shawcross teased “Keep watching.”
- The RWBY video game that’s been previously hinted at was teased some more, with videos of gameplay shown at the panel and RTX-goers got to try out the game on the show floor after the panel. Luna said that it was in the “pre-alpha” stage at the moment.
Red vs. Blue
There was a lot of news coming out for Rooster Teeth’s beloved Halo-inspired series for the coming year.
- The RvB13 soundtrack is going to have 42 tracks on it and it will be released upon the end of the season.
- The upcoming season 14 will not have the usual 19 or so episodes like the other seasons. Instead, it will have 2 or 3 short story arcs that will be made by different directors from all over the internet. The character list for this season isn’t set yet, but new and old characters will make an appearance.
- This is an experimental format for the story-writing of RvB and therefore, it’s unknown if it will continue into the oncoming seasons.
The AH crew had a busy weekend as well, running in between various other panels and their own to meet fans and hang out. They got to sit down and play games like Prop Hunt and Rocket League with fans and for fans and they faced the Funhaus guys
In one of their panels, AH founder Geoff Ramsey discussed the departure of one of the main six, Ray, who left the company to pursue a career in streaming. “It’s heartbreaking, but we’re really happy Ray’s doing what Ray loves. I speak for every one of us when I say we love and miss him terribly.”
There was also the announcement that a new show called “Presented with Comment”, for which there was already a pseudo-pilot released, will be introduced on the new channel. The premise of the show will be for Jeremy Dooley to read out comments for previously released AH videos and the crew will try to guess what video it came from and where the comment was left.
It was also confirmed that there will be a second episode of “Shenanigans”, although it will take about four or five years to finish.
Even though Geoff was running back and forth from RvB to AH to other various panels and shows, he still made time to visit the AH Behind the Scenes panel, where the members of Achievement Hunter responsible for all the ridiculously awesome Minecraft builds they play on as well as the video editing got to chat with fans. He made it just in time to watch Kdin Jenzen, one of his “children” propose to his partner, Val. She said yes!
Congratulations to Kdin and Val!
Rooster Teeth Live Action
Lots of cool stuff coming up with the Live Action department in the coming year.
- The Eleven Little Roosters, the sequel to the hit whodunnit series, Ten Little Roosters, starring members of the Rooster Teeth staff was announced. It’s the same type of interactive thriller, but slightly modified.
- The second season of Social Disorder, the show where Chris Demarais and Aaron Marquis see who can conduct the wackiest and most elaborate social experiments and pranks, was announced.
- There will apparently be a new Rooster Teeth short that follows the story of Hansel and Gretel
- Rooster Teeth fans may finally see Day 5, which has been hinted at since RTX 2012 but was put on the back-burner because of other projects until now
- Immersion season 3 was announced, which will continue Gavin and Michael’s adventures of trying to make video games come to life and will be out late September/early October
- There are some ideas coming out of The Schedule that may become a series
Rooster Teeth Animation
Also lots of cool stuff with the animation department!
- X-Ray and Vav will show the next two episodes for the second season before going on a short hiatus before releasing the second five episodes of the season in September.
- A concept for a new 2-D show is in the works.
- They’re working on the script for a new 3-D show currently
- A possible uninterrupted feature could possibly be coming out in the next year or so
- A new 360 degree video project
- Strangerhood season 2, the series created using a similar technique used in creating in Red vs. Blue using the computer game The Sims 2. There are going to be four new episodes released during the break in X-Ray and Vav
- Rooster Teeth is teaming up with Frederator Studios, who have been responsibility for shows like The Fairly Oddparents, with the possibility of collaborations in the future
Not much to report on the release date of this movie, only that it’s coming out “soon”, says Matt Hullum. More news will be released in the new two weeks, so keep your eyes peeled!
Though this whole weekend was full of good news and good vibes, there was one heart-breaking piece of news that spread on Day 2 on RTX.
Five teens were driving all the way to Austin, TX from Virginia when they were struck head-on by a man driving the wrong way in their lane in the middle of the night. An 18-wheeler truck, which was following them and didn’t have enough time to brake, crashed into them from behind.
Three of the teens, Holly Novak, Dale Niebaur, and Kyle Mathers were killed on impact, but Kevin DiCicco and Hannah Galbraith were transported to the hospital in critical condition. Kevin is stable but Hannah is still critical.
There’s been a tremendous outpouring of support by the community in remembrance and honor of these young spirits taken far too soon.
If you’d like to show your support, share or donate to this GoFundMe that’s been set up for Hannah and Kevin’s families.
Please keep them in your thoughts as they recover and send thoughts and prayers to the families of those who were lost.
All in all, it was an awesome weekend that gave Rooster Teeth fans a lot to look forward to in the coming year!
The fans were great too, there were over 30,000 people in attendance at the convention, all bright-eyed and bushy-tailed and decked out in their best cosplays and gear, ready to meet those funny guys and gals who they always watch on the Internet.
There’s always that sadness whenever a con or expo ends, but luckily, we have RTX Australia to look forward to and RTX 2016 will be here before we know it!
Hope everyone had an amazing weekend and keep an eye out for all the new content!